ESL Sessional Position(s): Regular, F4S, Custom Programs; & Substitute List
Duration: 3 weeks-4 months with Variable Dates: Sept 1 - Dec 24, 2017
Faculty ESL Sessional Lecturer
As per URFA Collective Agreement $27.80 - $36.19 per hour and prep. time
Program cannot run without sessional hires.
Myrah, Loanne Klatt, Lisa Spalding, Jacqueline
The University of Regina is committed to an inclusive workplace that reflects the richness of the community that we serve. The University welcomes applications from all qualified individuals, including individuals within the University's employment equity categories of women, persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities, aboriginal persons, individuals of diverse gender and sexual orientation and all groups protected by the Human Rights Code.
The ESL Program invites applicants for Sessional Instructor appointments (non-credit programs) to begin September 1 2017. The successful candidate(s) will teach ESL courses in the academic integrated skills program (classes are between 3 and 15 contact hours per week over the semester); and/or in our Fundamentals for Success program (classes are typically between 4 or 6 contact hours per week for11 weeks dependent on course); and/or in our Customized programs (classes are variable contact hours for 3 to 11 weeks).
We are also accepting applications for our substitute teacher list. Hours are variable dependent on need.
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications:
- An M.Ed. or M.A. in TESL or a related field (a B.Ed. or B.A. in a related field is the minimum requirement)
- TESL Accreditation (i.e. TESL Canada, TESL Sask.) TESL Canada Level 1 is the minimum requirement to teach as a Sessional in the Regular Program
- Knowledge of second language acquisition and teaching methodology
- Experience in teaching English as a Second Language within an integrated skills ESL/EAP program
- Proven ability to work at different levels (basic, intermediate or advanced)
- Experience in curriculum development
- Knowledge of the Canadian Language Benchmarks
- Ability to organize socio-cultural activities for ESL students
- Ability to work as a team member
- Demonstration of a creative and reflective approach to language teaching
- Experience teaching in a multi-cultural environment
A written copy of the appointment procedures is available upon request.
Open Until Filled
Cover Letter Resume/Curriculum Vitae
Please note that if enrolment is low or if funding is insufficient, replacing the specific course with a course with a comparable number of hours, or canceling this appointment may be necessary. Should this occur, we will notify you as soon as possible. If the course can not be replaced and the course cancellation occurs less than 15 days prior to the commencement of the semester, you will be entitled to receive one-third of the unreplaced stipend."
For existing Sessionals: Your curriculum vitae and teaching dossier are kept on file and automatically attached to your application. You may update your curriculum vitae and teaching dossier at any time by clicking on the "Attach" link next to the document you wish to upload and then upload your edited version. To remove your previous uploaded document from your application for this position, click the "Remove" link next to the document you wish to remove.
Existing sessional instructors do not have to provide new references and transcripts with each application. After you have been hired the first time, just type n/a in the text box provided on the manage documents screen.
If selected for an interview, new candidates seeking a sessional appointment will be required to provide transcripts and provide the names of three references at time of interview.
If you require further information regarding this competition please contact the faculty/department you are applying to.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.