Closes: September 30, 2022
Saskatchewan Intercultural Association
601B 1st Avenue North, Saskatoon, SK, S7L 1X7
Hours of Instruction Monday-Friday from 12-3 PM (flexible prep time paid on top averages 10.5 hours per week) Wage $26 - $27.80 per hour - depending on experience & qualifications Contract Length August 1st – March 31, 2023 (with possibility of extension) Deadline to Apply Until filled
Who WE are?
The Saskatchewan Intercultural Association (SIA) is a social impact organization and was originally established in 1964 with culture at the core of its programs and services. SIA's employment programs are for Newcomers and Indigenous people with the objective of helping them learn about workplace culture and expectations while supporting them find employment. SIA's settlement programs support Newcomers to learn English, develop local life skills, and understand Canadian society so they can integrate more fully into the local community. The agency's intercultural programs provide opportunities for everyone to learn through heritage language training, cultural dance and performance, and intercultural and anti-racist education. Let’s just say we are crazy about CULTURE and we are also a Great Place to Work Certified!
Who YOU are?
As a LINC Instructor, you are an integral part of the SIA team and bring your passion for teaching. You will create safe and engaging environments where Newcomers can learn the English language and cover topics that provide information on employment, culture, and local resources that make integration easier. You will work with a team of very creative and purpose driven individuals from all nations and act on SIA values of Respect, Compassion, Trust, Inclusion and Kinship.
What do WE offer?
At SIA, we are all about people and culture. We are truly a team in every sense: we trust one another and support each other towards a common goal. Every day through our programs we make a real difference to real people. By joining our team, you will be surrounded by highly motivated and passionate people. You will always be learning and improving in our consistently fun, safe, inclusive and a challenging environment. We will have your back so you can deliver results and do amazing work for your clients.
How will YOU-WE work?
Everyone’s safety and welfare are our key priorities. That being said, we do not want to let COVID-19 prevent us from doing the work that matters. We are utilizing all kinds of alternative methods in delivering our programming. Under the current circumstances, this position will be working mostly from home through several virtual means and connecting with clients and team members through online tools like Zoom, Moodle, LINC Avenue, and Microsoft Suite. Some in-person class time with clients is required of this position with safety precautions and procedures in place.
If you are the right candidate who is passionate, have the right skills and can adapt quickly to any situation, please review further details on the position.
This position is responsible for creating and delivering lessons from the LINC Program curriculum to program participants. This employee must be able to relate to participants’ needs and tailor classroom activities around them. This position must provide timely information to the Program Coordinator in order to manage participant attendance and CLB advancement.
Hours of Instruction
Monday-Friday from 12-3 PM (flexible prep time paid on top averages 10.5 hours per week)
$26 - $27.80 per hour - depending on experience & qualifications
August 1st – March 31, 2023 (with possibility of extension).
Deadline to Apply
Duties and Responsibilities
• Design and deliver lessons at an appropriate level for adult participants attending the class
• Create lesson plans in advance of the teaching day based on the LINC Program curriculum
• Teach language skills that are employment related to participants using a variety of instructional techniques, methods and materials
• Implement all aspects of Portfolio Based Language Assessment (PBLA) and maintain monthly evidence of advancement as well as all other student related information
• Advise the Lead Program Coordinator of participants’ attendance and progress and recommend any changes in CLB level
• Communicate feedback to participants in an appropriate and sensitive manner also accommodating special learning needs as required.
• Keep records and submit reports as required
• Submit progress reports and level completion forms by the timelines stipulated
• Work in collaboration with the Lead Program Coordinator and the Employment Coordinator to ensure that the employment and individual needs of the participants are being met, including referrals to other settlement agencies as deemed appropriate
• Maintain neat and organized classroom and assist students with organizing their language portfolios
• When required, arrange for a substitute instructor in collaboration with the Lead Program Coordinator.
• Recognized TESL certification
• An undergraduate degree (not restricted to, but preferably) in one of the following areas: Commerce, Education, English Language Arts, International Studies, Indigenous Studies, Women’s and Gender Studies, Social Work or Psychology
• 1-3 years’ experience teaching English as a subsequent language
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Aware of settlement issues and familiar with educational resources for immigrants
• Knowledge and appreciation of contemporary issues related to equity, such as intercultural understanding, inclusion, anti-racism, Indigenous cultural safety, human rights, language rights and cultural retention
• Ability to teach online through virtual platforms
• Skilled at teaching EAL curriculum and developing lesson plans
• Ability to work effectively in a culturally diverse environment
• Strong organizational and interpersonal skills
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to multi-task and meet deadlines
• Must be self-directed and able to teach with limited support or supervision
Requirement of Employment
• Criminal record check
• Access to high-speed internet at home
• Proof of COVID vaccination
How to apply
Please apply through e-mail by sending your Cover letter and Resume as an attachment to [email protected]
Indicate the title of the position in the subject line of the e-mail.
We look forward to connecting with you virtually and eventually in person too.
All the best!